Does My Child Need to See a Counsellor?

  • StartPoint-Counselling-sad-child

The lives of children can be quite stressful, – there’s the expectations of the school environment, study and exams, friendships and family relationships, and as the child gets older personal development, peer support and self-image. Then there’s the possibility of significant life events –an illness or a death in the family, parents separating and relationship breakups.

Some of these events most people would find stressful, and some of that discomfort is a result of a feeling of being out of control.

Ideally, there will be someone in the family for the child to talk to, a parent, a grandparent, aunt or friend. What the child probably needs more than anything is the opportunity to speak, but in our busy lives, such opportunities can be hard to find.

Most parents try to create this time. There are times, however, when your child seems unable to express what they are feeling or what you notice as a change in their behaviour.

When do you know that the behaviour you are seeing in your child is a concern?
When do you start to worry about a change in their behaviour?

Clearly, that can get tricky because children do change as they develop. If you are worried talk to someone about it. If you have a GP, you can talk to that can be a good start to helping you decide what kind of help you need and who to go to.

Sometimes children can benefit from therapy. It may address some issues the school has told you about, attention difficulties, difficulty managing tasks and getting upset or angry or complaints of being bullied or doing the bullying.

Some of the following things may cause you to worry:

  • Changes in appetite
  • Moodiness
  • Spending more time in their room
  • Activities they previously enjoyed no longer of interest and nothing has replaced that enjoyment
  • Increased periods of anxiety or sadness.

If your child does not share with you what is happening in their lives, you might find a family member they have confided in, or you could consider counselling. A children’s counsellor at StartPoint Counselling would say that it is not always helpful to just refer the child to the counsellor to sort things out, without some background information.

StartPoint Counselling would always recommend that the parent/s attend the first session either with the child or before the child attends, to enable a good understanding of the circumstances in which the child is living. All families are unique, and family dynamics vary.

Depending on the age of the child they may benefit from an opportunity to talk to someone independent of the family to help sort something out in their mind. At other times, it would be helpful for the family to attend some sessions with the child to enhance positive interactions in the family which will benefit the child, and in turn the whole family.

The counsellor can discuss these options with you at the first session or as sessions continue. In the situation where the child sees the counsellor alone issues around confidentiality need to be clarified.

The counsellor may also suggest that obtaining a Mental Health Care Plan from your GP to assist with the cost of sessions if your GP has not already suggested this as an option.

Communication is the backbone of any relationship. As relationship specialists, StartPoint Counselling has helped many children and their families to communicate and rebuild their relationships.

You’ll be amazed how counselling can help your child through difficult times

You will find that talking with StartPoint Counselling Beenleigh is your starting point for happy relationships and mental wellbeing for the whole family.

StartPoint Counselling Practice is conveniently located in Beenleigh close to Logan, Mt Warren Park, Stapylton, Homeview, Waterford, Loganholme and Yatala areas. However we also offer phone consultations for your convenience, see more about Booking Appointments here.

We offer a 15-minute complimentary phone session with one of our experienced counsellors. Find if your child could benefit from an opportunity to talk to someone independent of the family to help them with something that is on their mind by talking to us.